Static library support

After some messing around the EGit finally I came to understand how to push my changes to the google code clone. It came as a surprise because I was sure that I understand the git architecture. The problem was that I had proper ref specs to the google code clone’s repository.

Today’s exercise was to add some support of static libraries. I found that the DeeBuildOptions class had some traces for supporting different build types but it was set to EXECUTABLE without the option to change it. In the case of static library, the DMD compiler offer an option “-lib” to build static libraries. In addition I found that the there were already a combo box to set the build type in the DeeProjectOptionsBlock which is responsible for handle the compiler options in the UI.

So this part of the job was pretty easy: Uncomment the relevant part in the DeeProjectOptionsBlock.createControl method that shows the combo box for the build type setting. To handle the default cases better than we do currently, I hid all the properties of the DeeBuildOptions class and added some handling of the default values. If there’s no set output directory yet, it will depend on the build type, for instance: if the build type is executable or dynamic library, the output directory is ‘bin’, if the build type is static library, the output directory will be the ‘lib’ directory. However, I noticed a tiny little problem here. The D programming language is a native language which means that the compiled modules are subject of linking. That is, the real output of the build process is the executable/library/dynamic library and the object files themselves are kind of a by-product of this process. Most of the build system I saw there were a separation between the intermediate files (object files) and the final output. As a next step I would like to add an intermediate directory for the object files to handle (of course, if the user wishes so, he can keep the output files mixed with the object files).

On the UI with small little hack I only update those DeeBuildOption fields that were actually edited so that my changes on the default values could come to effect. But I need to updated the artifact name’s field which I just realized I didn’t. Next commit. If you switch to LIB_STATIC build type, the output folder and the output extension will change to lib.

Also, before I committed these changes I merged Bruno’s recent changes (mostly GDC related stuff).

The corresponding change set in the source code: r080d4e50bc25

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s